Every week, we collect anonymous entries sent in using the link on our sidebar and post them all on Monday. We post anything as long as it doesn't contain personal attacks, hate speech, or express or insinuate that one is at risk for hurting themselves or someone else. Please read this for an explanation of this policy and seek help if your or a friend find yourself in that position. With those exceptions aside, please feel free to submit your thoughts and questions. :)
SUPER EXCITING NEWS, Y'ALL! You may have noticed that things look a little...shall we say, different, around here? Well, the BDU Blog is ready to spice things up. Get Hyped. The writers have been working hard to prepare some really amazing and thought provoking content for you. We've got new faces around here (please welcome all of our newbies!), new features, and a new look (duh) all coming your way.
Here's what you can look forward to:
Faculty Bloggers (What!? Did I say LGBTQ and Allied FACULTY?! Yessss!! [Hi Faculty! Email me if you’re interested].
Alumni Submissions (Hi, Alumni! Be on the lookout for an email from the LGBT Center calling for posts...in the meantime, send your submissions to email@example.com and be sure to include your school, year, and a picture).
Grad and professional school student writers! Because we're all part of this Community.
"Throwback Thursdays" on the first Thursday of every month in which we highlight content from the now defunct first version of the blog,
An up-to-date calendar (finally! I know…)...see the right column.
Frequently changing banners (I mean, those posters from the anti-hate speech campaign are really awesome and all, but they’re from last November! [If you take pictures at BDU or Center events, please email them to me!]).
Senior Posts come spring semester (Hey 2012! Start working on them now! Spring will be here before we know it!)
and...well, this spiffy new background!
Whew! That's A LOT! Is anyone else tired after that?
Other sweet stuff happening this week:
1) DON'T ASK DON'T TELL ENDS TOMORROW. Yes, that's right. And what's the BDU Blog doing to celebrate? Well, what better way is there to celebrate than one of Duke's own ROTC members writing their very first blog post tomorrow? So be sure to check in...and then head out to Alivia's for the DADT Repeal party sponsored by outLAW (Duke's LGBTQ Law School Organization).
2) Kinky, working-class, feminist, queer woman Dorothy Allison is visiting Duke this week!! Be sure to make it to one of her many events (see above link for event listings).
3) Blue Devils United is meeting at 5:30 on Wednesday in the LGBT Center.
4) NC Pride is on Saturday!!
5) Grey's Anatomy returns with a two-hour season premier on Thursday! Can't wait to snuggle in my bed on Friday while watching.
Less cool things this week: we don't have any anonymous posts :(
Please remember that there are a number of resources available on campus and in the local community. These resources are available over breaks and throughout the school year. If you or a friend are experiencing thoughts or urges to harm yourself or somebody else, please reach out to the following resources: In an emergency, please don't hesitate to call CAPS at any time, including "after hours" at (919) 966-3820. Ask to speak to the advice nurse and tell them you are a Duke student. You may also call the Trevor Project, a national hotline specifically for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer and questioning youth (college students included). Their number is 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386).