So my last post, entitled “The 20 Ways in Which I am not Stereotypically Gay” caused a mini-riot in the blogosphere with accusations ranging from misogyny to sexism. I could preface this with a statement about how the reason for this post is to point out the frivolity of stereotypes, not to suggest that conformity is superior to non-conformity or vice-versa, but my prefacing was largely ignored last post, so I’ll just get right into it. The list:
1. I LOVE Lady Gaga—I went to the concert in Raleigh, was in the front row, was dressed up in an outfit that included a hubcap, and yelled very shameful things at the stage concerning my love.
2. I enjoy wearing high heels—They make me feel powerful, and I’m all for abolishing gender norms.
3. I like glitter—and really anything shiny for that matter. Gold patent-leather shoes? Fine by me.
4. I am a vegetarian—For ecological and economic reasons. You should be a vegetarian too!
5. I am a Democrat—and proud of it!
6. I have a significant number of rainbow-colored objects in my life—flags, bandanas, streamers, hats, stickers, etc.
7. I am an activist!
8. I am a good dancer—I went to a youth summit over thanksgiving break and got the best dancer award, so this is verified by a third party
9. I have taken ballet—which is surprisingly the most heterosexual I’ve ever felt, because I groped girls every time I did a pas de deux.
10. I’m goofy—and as a corollary, I use the word “silly” quite often.
11. I like Whole Foods and most organic products
12. I own something made by Gucci—which happens to be a pair of gold bowling shoes that I got at a gay-owned consignment store.
13. I like art museums. TONS.
14. I feel comfortable and at home in a coffee shop.
15. As an UPDATE from my last list, I got my most recent haircut not at Great Clips, but at a place called “Lavish Hair Spa” by a gay man named Danny (who has done Rupaul’s makeup before, nbd.)
16. And speaking of Rupaul, I both love drag shows and have performed in one.
17. I also like Beyonce, and Rhianna, and LaRoux.
18. I watch the Food Network (Paula Deen is my favorite)
19. I am pretty fabulous
20. I like kitties, and pictures of small, furry animals make me squeal like I was a small, furry animal.
So that’s the second installment of the list. Look out for the third and final installment “20 Things that are interesting about me completely independent of stereotypes.”